Rona Rescue

Monday last it was all hands on deck when one of our visitors Michelle cut her hand badly, whilst making a cake!!!!!!!

On Call

The weather was foul and not safe for our ferries so a call to Stornoway Coastgaurd was necessary. The lifeboat crew were out pretty quick to take our casualty to hospital.

Hamish and the Crew

We are lucky to have a lifeboat in Portree and long may it continue its stay there, it is a great asset.

Backing Off

It was a bouncy trip back, plenty white water all the way.

Bouncing Back

The lifeboat certainly had a few bumps but in the middle of the day a Yacht arrived at the mouth of the harbour. I had had a call from a yacht the previous week but was not expecting them to arrive in the weather we had. Later when I was speaking to the crew they had said it was pretty hairy out in the Inner Sound. The yacht ‘Equinox’ went on to  the mooring which surprised me as I had told the guy that contacted me that it was in need of servicing. It turned out it was not the guy I had been talking to, it was another and that was after they had spent a ‘safe’ night on our mooring. Thankfully nothing gave way!!!!!

That Night

Later on Monday our vistors arrived back on MV Aspire, the wind had dropped and they had a relatively stable crossing, all bandaged up and with instructions to call the hospital Wednesday.

Springs Here

Thankfully after a blustery start to the week our cottage guests had some sunshine but not as much as the week before with an unsettled period coming in off the Atlantic.

Working Inside

It is usually no problem working inside on poor days and we have had our share of these over the years. Now we have to quantify the material for building the new house it is not the best job spending a day poring over plans especially when the sun is shining which it did off and on for the rest of the week

The List Goes On

The plan is to get a job done from my long list each day then head for the house to look at more drawings. The gate up at the water supply had settled on its hinges a while ago so that was first, I raised it 3 inches and all was well. Then onto the new water supply for the larder. The tank we have is too small and we run out regularly causing air locks, so, a wee bit of plumbing and we had the new tank full ready to go. Another tick off the list.

New Larder Water Supply

I then moved onto the main tank where we are trying to set up an early warning system to let us know that the water is not filling long before the tank completely empties, should have that done next week.

Bit of a Plumbers Nightmare

Before we knew it the week was almost over and it was Friday night which meant a trip over to Dry Harbour to let our guests know the time for the Saturday ferry.

Three Legged Mike

Saturday morning and everything must run like clockwork, it never does. The first thing I found on going out to feed the sheep was that we had two new lambs. One went into the field the other took off and ran up the hill behind the house site, almost to the top. Then flopped down, where it was born I guess. I crept up on it and managed to capture it, then re-united it with its mother. That took half an hour of precious time.

Settled Lambs

The reason I needed time this Saturday was that the guests had a few boxes and bags!!! Which meant two trips to Dry Harbour. Michelle (with the bandage) did mention that they were moving house!!!!

Just a Few Boxes!!!!!!

The night before we had another yacht in, early for sure this time a local boat. We did go down to let the yachtsman know about the mooring’s state on Friday night but our visitor was unperturbed and was happy to spend the night there.

Yacht No: 2

The yacht left and ten minutes later Kevin was on his way with our guests looking forward to a breezy crossing.

And They Are Off

The week had been relatively dry, great weather for the lambs and the place had dried up. There was a damp patch that was annoying me so Saturday afternoon I dug up the ‘puddle’ to find that the join in the home made drain pipe was leaking badly so a wee bit of duct tape and flashing it was put back together and finished Sunday before a lamb fell into the hole. The grey morning had passed and the rest of the day was glorious warm sunshine.

Leaking Drain

Fingers crossed it does not leak now.

All Done

I had been waiting for chain to arrive after using the last length we ordered for the mooring to hold the pontoon. The chain duly arrived on Saturday and as I missed the low tide on Saturday  it had to be a Sunday job to be ready before the next yacht came in and picked it up.

Mooring Repair

As you can see from the pic’ the chain was pretty worn in fact paper thin at the strop end. A couple of metres down it was pretty good so rather than lift the whole thing I replaced the 2 metres and the shackles. There was a safety chain on the original but it was pretty thin too so I may try to find  new one to beef it up a bit later this season, as it is the chain should be fine and I will check it once a month.

Mooring Repair 2

Next winter/spring I think we’ll have the lot up and replace the chain right through. Every season it gets a fair bit of use and I think that some of the yachts we have had on it are a bit too heavy for the gear so more notices will be going up and also to let them know it is not insured this year. The income from it last year did not cover the insurance premium quotes this spring, so we are leaving it up to the visitors if they want to use it or not.

New Chain/Old Chain!!!!

The link on the left is the new chain the one on the right is the last  (Half)  link onto the strop which had been there for ten years, this time last year there was hardly any wear on it!!!!!

Two lengths of chain from Gael Force £190 each delivered!!!!!!

Suns out, the lambs are going bonkers after a grey start and rainy afternoon, looking forward now to next week.

About Bill Cowie

I've been living on the island since April 2002, alone for the first 5 years, my partner L joined me in 2007. We manage the Island for a Danish family who bought the Island in the early 90's. Their hopes for the Island are to make it self sufficient supporting its inhabitants and that is where we come in. We look after the stock, 3 holiday cottages, machinery, boat and of course the visitors. It is pretty challenging but it is a beautiful place to live and work, we love it and strangely enough we love it even more in the depths of winter when all is quiet apart from the gales and rain. We do a bit of fishing, stock work, stalking deer and loads of other stuff. We have good support from lots of people whom we have met over the years and have become involved in the Island. Too many to mention here but keep an eye on the blog, they'll be there for sure in the future.
This entry was posted in Daily Doings, The Views and of course the weather, Yachties. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Rona Rescue

  1. Linda Reasbeck says:

    Great to read your diary of the week we stayed on your island, we had a fab time apart from ‘chelle’s accident, hope that we can do it all again. Rosie, our cocker, had such a good week her nose never left left the ground tracking deer.

  2. yractual says:

    I well remember the Portree Hospital from our time in Trotternish; our daughter was born while we were there. They used to tell us, constantly, ‘We do things differently here…’ How true, it was.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.