Back to Base and Connected

I came back on Friday morning from a very relaxing week in Germany. Weather warm (not normal) and good beer!! But the relaxed feeling lasted all of five minutes. I emptied my bags, switched on the house PC, it down loaded two weeks emails then, nothing. I switched it off and on still nothing. So before I got fully unpacked I was on the phone to the provider. Three days later with occasional internet and we are back in business. Turns out it was the cables on the sat’ dish all along. They had corroded, which is no surprise even under self amalgam tape.

Coming Home

Coming Home

Here we are Friday morning on the MV Spindrift having a flat calm sail, perfect. The light was stunning and the sea all around was busy with porpoises feeding on herring (Kevin thinks). After unloading and sorting internet (not) I headed over to Dry Harbour.

It's Good to Be Home

It’s Good to Be Home

It was a pleasing view to see the Torridon hills with some snow on. But back to the last couple of weeks. On Saturday morning in a gap in the weather we got Mike and Lorraine out to look after Rona for two weeks, under orders and a quick look around and we were off.

Santa The Second

Santa The Second

Loaded up with Xmas presents and lots of ex Xmas stuff Mike and Lorraine took over the Lodge and settled down, we had trouble with the genny the previous week but I had fingers crossed that they would have no trouble.

We headed across to the East coast via Shieldaig and spent the night with Linda and Kenny. They are in Portugal now for a long holiday so it was good to see them before they left.

Iona's New House

Iona’s New House

We were keen to see Iona’s (linda and Kenny’s oldest daughter) new house. We were very impressed and the house and the View.

Next day it was  up and off into Inverness to see the family then onto Edinburgh to meet up with Jennie and Laurie, Rona yachting visitors and good friends. We had a couple of nights there, the highlight a visit was tickets  to the Dominion Theater to see ‘Mandela’ then Nona’s for dinner.  Mid week we were off on our separate ways.

The Old Ways Are Best

The Old Ways Are Best

I was visiting old hunting friends South of Frankfurt and enjoyed a good week with them. Germany looked to be pretty busy and lots going on as usual. It always amazes me how everything seems to work there. It is always a bit of a busman’s holiday for me and a visit to Germany would not be complete without a trip to the ‘Wald’ (forest) to see what was going on. You do not see many foresters huts nowadays ion our forests. I was interested to have a chat with the foresters, a different regime and industry to ours, that is for sure. One interesting thing, no one I spoke to had heard of our Referendum!!!!!!

But back to Rona and it was back to work. First thing Saturday Morning was to take the 25 posts up to the new fence, work in progress to the East of the house. Which is designed to keep the sheep in, we will see.

Final Destination.

Final Destination.

I had press ganged Mike to buy some paint and if he had time to paint the chalet. It looked fine, a few bits upsides down but overall a good effort.

Nearly There

Nearly There

I finished the back and started on the decking but the rain stopped play. I’ll get it sometime. I had lost enthusiasm for the holiday cottages but with the season slowly looming I thought I’d better get going. I loaded up the bike with the tiling gear and headed back to Dry Harbour to set up the new shed out the back for the floor tiles. Sunday I fed the sheep, slipped on the wet grass thought nothing of it and headed over to tile.

Going Well

Going Well

All was going well until I tried to stand up, seems I had done ‘something’ when I slipped and my leg muscles were not to good, I spent the late afternoon and evening creeping about. Wish I had a bath here.

The weather had been good but a low pressure was building so I was keen to get the tiles finished but the internet was not fixed so the day was half wasted messing about with the internet company. In the end I finally checked the cables and as soon as I unscrewed the transmit co-ax outside I saw the copper wire insert had corroded, end of problem. So now we can blog.

Rain Did Not Stop Play

Rain Did Not Stop Play

New Years resolution is to update the pages on this blog, hopefully before 2015!! We will see. The forecast is grim and tomorrow’s (Tuesday) ferry is cancelled. L is coming home so she will be having a longer trip by public transport than she thought, but it may clear up so you never know. I might make Portree of it yet.


About Bill Cowie

I've been living on the island since April 2002, alone for the first 5 years, my partner L joined me in 2007. We manage the Island for a Danish family who bought the Island in the early 90's. Their hopes for the Island are to make it self sufficient supporting its inhabitants and that is where we come in. We look after the stock, 3 holiday cottages, machinery, boat and of course the visitors. It is pretty challenging but it is a beautiful place to live and work, we love it and strangely enough we love it even more in the depths of winter when all is quiet apart from the gales and rain. We do a bit of fishing, stock work, stalking deer and loads of other stuff. We have good support from lots of people whom we have met over the years and have become involved in the Island. Too many to mention here but keep an eye on the blog, they'll be there for sure in the future.
This entry was posted in Daily Doings, The Views and of course the weather, Yachties. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.