Back to work with a bang and with the weather so good it was easy to push on to the North. One big problem, a stone weighing around 6 tonne was on the bank where we wanted to put our new reservoir.
We ran dry at ‘Dry Harbour’ two maybe three years ago, I spent a month running a tank of water back and fore just to keep up with demand, so, we had a plan to revamp the system. With the path work completed we could move onto the water.
Myself and Hugh took a few levels and just below the well and the stone was the best place. We planned shifting the old storage tank, replacing with a smaller one for more throughput and making a back up reservoir. Springs we have plenty but capturing the water is the issue.
The big stone was ideal for a face on the wall of the reservoir but it took some power to move it, luckily the ground was damp.
It was quite an operation to move the tank but with some strategic placing we had aboard the tractor and on its way.
Brian who was ‘on holiday’ was volunteered to make a smooth base for the tank. A walk in the park for an exhibition joiner. Normally used to working in places like the NEC or Alexander Palace, he much preferred the location in Dry Harbour.
Even with all the heavy machinery, there is still need for a spade (unfortunately).
With the base level there was nothing for it but drop in the tank.
Then we hit a problem, how to replace the 25mm outlet with a 32mm. Obviously someone had to go in the tank.
Of course we discussed the health and safety issues.
Last time I tried this I got stuck, I climbed in but on the way out the ladder made it too tight to get out, thankfully Lorraine was there and kindly put in a rope but with diggers and plenty folk there it was no problem this time. It was good to stretch the back.
Out we came and then it was a bit of head scratching to decide where the pipe work would go.
All of a sudden the pipes were connected and we were flowing, with no leaks, excellent.
Back to the house for a well earned can of beer, it had been a very good day.
Next day the ‘Big Push’ was on. We were off to the North, this was phase two of our ‘LMO’ work but with funding being pulled we just had to get on with it ourselves.
There were a lot of trees to cut so Callum got the saw and set too. It was good to see our winter fuel supply building up. The saw as usual got blunt so I showed Callum a novel way that I used to use the trees as a vice, makes life easier for sharpening.
Last night we got as far as we could, time and finance permitting, now it is the long slog back to Big Harbour, day off to-day (Saturday), servicing I hear.
Brian and Gill are away, the yacvhts have all gone and it is a breezy morning.
yesterday we helped ian Edwards on his 45ft yacht get to anchor. He was having difficulties on his own with a lot of windage. So we got in the Rona boat and assisted. He came ashore in the evening when the wind dropped. He reported 52 knots of wind around lunch time Friday!!!!
Pingback: Saved by the ‘Smidge’ :-) | Life at the end of the road