It had to come, but it is still a shock when it does. The first real storm of the Autumn/Winter. This week has been unsettled to say the least. But last night (Sat’ 25th Oct) was a big one. The rain never stopped, the wind came in gusts and shook the house every so often. All the time I’m thinking, the boat is on the pontoon, maybe quite literally! First thing this morning I went down to see……….
Various ‘security’ ropes were burst but thankfully the main ones were still holding out. Last time we lost a boat off the pontoon, the big ropes were ok, they had just pulled the metal post out of the pontoon.
I was up at the shed and quite sheltered so when I came down for tea it was quite a gusty and wet scene that I met at the top of the hill. I thought I had better check the boat, put on another two ropes!! But it was quite mad and nothing I could do. Just kicking myself that the boat was not safely out of the water for the winter. But with a new tup to come over this week, needs must.
It had been a busy day despite the storm. Our visitors had to leave Thursday due to the forecast so no changeover. That made for a good day on the new toolshed.
Been building a smoker, which was too big. Then we thought an outside loo for the cabin, too heavy so the ‘project’ turned into a ‘hand’ tool shed. The big garage is full of stuff propped against walls so it is good to get the ‘hand tool’ corner cleared and maybe the strimmers away into it, because they are awkward to store.
Although the wind is out of the South the geese have been going over steady this week, greys, pinks, barnacles and Yesterday swans. Nice to hear their call and just after I took this photo a stag appeared at the garage, he let out a grunt and moved on!!
Last weekend the weather had been threatening and L was coming back on Monday so I took off on the Stardust to Inverness to do some visiting, last minute shopping for our holiday and a haircut.
The weather had not been too settled so it was a wait and see Saturday morning. As it turned out the boat came with Ross Young and his bride on their honey moon. They left their reception at 11 on the Friday night to drive to Portree. So it was a relief to get them over. hello Cheerio and Calum and Irene took over. Their trip over with the wind was great mine back against it was no problem which was surprising. It was a busy weekend with a trip to Cromarty with my German pals who were staying in Contin, but no food in the Royal Hotel, despite the good weather there were no punters about so the cook went home!
The forecast had deteriorated and after many calls I decided that after I picked L up off the sleeper it would be back to Rona prompt. The Portree Medical Centre obliged us with a pop in appointment which was much appreciated, then as soon as possible we left. The weather was due to deteriorate and if we did not get over we would not get over until Thursday (Maybe) or the following Monday.
It had got pretty breezy by the time we got to Rona and Calum and Irene were there waiting for a quick turn around.
By the time they got back to Portree it had really taken off and for the rest of this week it has been just that, a constant gale of wind. There has been some sun though.
A bit of sun during the week made it a bit easier to get things done outside, especially find out where the hens are now laying.
Everytime it was dry we shot outside to get the work done, it is a long winter if you get early gales and cannot get out. One job during the week was to find the missing ewes and lambs. With a wind shift to a NW gale, I was concerned that the green grass on the North facing cliffs would prove fatal. As it turned out we could not find them but got a good view of Dry Harbour from the top of the cliffs.
All too soon the torrential rain arrived so I decided to put new bushes into the A suspension arm on the front of the ATV. It looked like a knuckle burster but it turned out ok after a bit of ‘persuasion’.
The only problem was I had only ordered one set and found that since I discovered the LH side was kaput, the RH side was now the same so a call to Robertson’s of Tain and a new set will be here for next week.
Wednesday night , Iain from the Stardust called, he had a trip to the Lighthouse the next day and if he managed it then I should get our honeymooners on the pontoon for the return leg. Because the forecast was nuts and that they may be stuck until Monday perhaps Tuesday!! It was 9 at night and raining so I thought I would go over first thing. But could not move until Iain left Portree. The next thing I knew he was at the lighthouse so things happened pretty quickly after that. Our guests had a rude awakening and were on the boat, just like that. I guess they will still be wondering what happened.
They may have got off Friday but it was not any better than Thursday as for the weekend well………… It is going to blow all day and now, into tomorrow.
Nothing much more to report, just some interesting stuff on the tideline and lots of sea weed.
This interesting ‘thing’ was on the beach right outside the bunkhouse, I have seen them before but not as complete as this one.
It is now lunchtime, 26th October my birthday!!!! The wind and rain have not given up, I’m off to see if MV Rona is still attached then I’ll post this blog. Maybe even consider opening a bottle of something when I get back!!!!!!
UpDate at 1.30pm: Blowing a hooley, spindrift everywhere, two ropes burst, the main rope sawing through nicely and the tide nearly turning. Apart from that everything is ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!